Monday, December 31, 2012

Just Dinner, and a memory.


A restaurant review, then and now.

The beautiful dining area.


My 29th Birthday at Just Dinner

Just Dinner on Dunlavy has a special place in my heart. I wrote the review below when I went for the first time. The friendly owner, Andrew Rebori, who we got to know over the years, sadly passed away a year ago. I cried when I read the article Katharine Schilcutt wrote. At the time, it surprised me how upset I got. Then I realized how rare it is to come across a person so warm, humble, and welcoming. Just Dinner still has the same warmth and amazing food, and I think of Andrew every time I pass by or dine there.




Rebori will be remembered by his family and friends as the epitome of a restaurateur who loved his life. "He started each day thinking about food, shopping and gardening," said Lisa. "He daily met all his customers. He was always concerned about their comfort and satisfaction. He took tremendous pride in creating opportunities for people to talk to each other and to share a good meal."

And now my original review...




Subject : 1915
Posted Date: : Jul 21, 2009 10:15 PM
1915 is how I know it. A little house that could belong to my great aunt. If you passed by it, you wouldn't even think twice. Completely unmarked. The only peculiar thing is a little blue neon sign in the window... "1915". It's the address. 1915 Dunlavy. And quite possibly the best kept secret restaurant in Montrose... perhaps in all of Houston. For a place that doesn't require any advertising, even in it's own front yard, it's amazing how full of life it was.

Turns out, the name of the restaurant is "Just Dinner". So unassuming... and good luck getting reservations on a weekend. My parents have become very friendly with the owner/chef and his wife. It's literally 2 blocks from their house. I went there with them tonight for the 2nd time. I had the best crab cakes I've ever had in my life. They ran out after my mom and I ordered them. Pan-fried, not battered. Basically 90% good-quality, jumbo-lump crab meat. I also ordered ratatouille. The waitress gave me a nod when I placed my order, and I understand why. It was a perfect combo!


No comments:

Post a Comment